Can you explain a FAT to me??
Girl, this food label thing confuses the heck out of me. Total Fat, saturated fat, monounsaturated fat, trans fat, and polyunsaturated fat. What the heck is all this??
Let’s break it down:
1) Total fat is just all of the fat in the product added up together. It is the saturated fat, monounsaturated fat, trans fat, and polyunsaturated fat all added into one.
2) Saturated fat: this is fat that literally sits around. It is solid at room temp. It is the fat that can bring up our heart issues. Although it is not as bad as we once believed. We do want our saturated fat total to be less than 20 grams per day.
Types: Butter, Coconut Oil,
3) Trans fat: this is a manmade fact. It is typically written as “hydrogenated oils” in the ingredients panel. This is the fact that can make us have heart issues of all kinds. We do not want any of this fat in our diet.
Types: hydrogenated oils
4) Monounsaturated fat: this is the best fat! It is the fat that helps our heart! It is the fat that can bring up our good cholesterol. It is the fat that helps combat all the bad. We want the majority of the fat to come from here.
Types: Avocado, Avocado oil, nuts, Almond oil, Olive oil, Canola oil, Peanut oil
5) Polyunsaturated fats: second best fat. These can contain a lot of omega 3s and DHA which our good for our heart and for our brains! While it is a good fat, it just does not have as much good as monounsaturated, however we still want to eat a good amount of this daily!
Types: Sunflower oil, safflower oil, corn oil, vegetable oil,
Overall, we do WANT to eat fat in our diet and how much truly depends on how many calories we need in a day. We need to focus on our total calories and eat about 25-30% of that intake in fat and most of that fat needs to be healthy!